Monday, June 8, 2009

"commend me to a bruised brother, a
broken reed. for the Man of Sorrows is never
far from him." robert murray mccheyne

hmmmm.
bruised and broken.
like Jesus. our goal.

can i keep the devil from taking
my song? pastor bobby's
words still ring in my ears.

plant my feet
on the Solid Rock.
held steady by Jesus.
when the storms roar, and
i sway in my pain, may the song
live!

the business goes under.
you lose your job. someone you
love more than you love yourself
dies. can the devil take our song?
can't let him do it.
can't let him win.

it was a normal week day.
i drove to modesto to see my
doctor. picked up a steaming-hot
bowl of cheesy-potato soup to go.
cradled the bowl, with a plastic lid,
deep in my lap. as i pulled right, onto
the main street, making a sharp turn,
the soup flew.
lid off. all over me, and toward the passenger seat
where i had important papers.
as i reached to grab the bowl,
i automatically turned the steering wheel
in that direction, and jumped the curb
on one side.

standing by my car. stunned.
soup down my black dress. chew-
ing on my bottom lip. unable
to bring the car back over the curb.
i stood.
cell phone forgotten at home.
my song fading.

a police car pulled up to see that
everything was okay. i explained my
delimna. before i could mentally devise
a solution, the officer looked at me, and
said....i can tell by your eyes that you
have been drinking!

excuse me?!! what did you say?

you have been drinking!
i can tell by your eyes.

too stunned to tell him i was ten
days away from eye surgery on the
muscles of my eyes...that one pupil
or the other wanders to the outside,
i just gaped at him.
speechless.
unable to dialogue that i have NEVER
liked alcohol. how it tastes or how it
makes me feel. i NEVER drink.

but before i knew it, they were
putting me in the backseat of the
police car. charging me with a DUI.
no breathilizer. just because..my eyes.

the song?
it was gone.
replaced by a dirge of terror and
horror and shock.

through the grid in the police car,
my voice trembling, i said, draw my blood!

it was done by a nurse.
i was booked into the women's jail
in the next city, in the middle of nowhere.
stripped. finger-printed. face mugged.
one phone call allowed, and i could not
think of one phone number. not one.

brokenness.
a path to higher ground.
well, i didn't like it. didn't want it.
knew i had been wronged, and did not
want any music.

finally, i was led outside.
three massive, tilled fields between
me and the road. was told i had five minutes
to cross this spanse, and catch the last bus
of the night to modesto.

run!
my instincts kicked in.
i knew how to run.
kicking off my
flip-flops. eyes down so as to miss
the holes. face covered in tears, i
started running for my life. as the bus
was pulling away, i slapped the door, and it opened.

today,
my eye surgery is done.
all charges have been dropped
because no alcohol or drugs were
found in my blood. it was a dear friend
who called out of the blue, who retained
an attorney to represent me. i had told
every young woman arrested after me about
Jesus. and He, through it all, did NOT aban-
don me.

i flunked with my song.
i wasn't noble in my brokenness.
but God used this in my life. the pain
DID become my gift.

"i want to scale the utmost heights,
and catch a gleam of glory bright;
but still i'll pray 'til Heaven i've found,
my prayer, my aim is highter ground." (old hymn)


"i will exalt you, O LORD, for You have lifted
me out of the depths and did not let my enemies
gloat over me...weeping may remain for a night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning." ps.30

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Oh Ann, I can't belive this happened to you! I'm assuming you didn't get any kind of apology from the police officer who was wrong about your eyes. So thankful you got out of jail quickly. My nephew just had to plead 'no contest' to something he didn't do but it was the (lying) policeman's word against his. He's stuggling with forgiveness and trust right now.

Unknown said...

{{{{{{{Ann}}}}}}} I feel this way oh so often... false charges against my 70 Lb. 13 yr. old, false Sheriff reports with vile lies, no trial... only injustice, had to move from long time home, son tortured for years and has severe traumatic anxiety related to false imprisonment, loss of his childhood, education... It isn't over. He was sent out of state and is on the run... at 16, alone in a state that has severe winters... I can't help him, only Jesus can.
My song is very weak... I know God is enough, big enough, tough enough, loving enough, sovereign enough... I ache to hear my song. God has shown me to look in on Ann Kiemel Anderson every so often. He gives me hugs through His children. I discovered Mark Lowry and his lyrics to Mary did you know? and so many God inspired words... and songs. Your song continues. My mom has cancer, my son is in severe danger, alone, and my younger sister has a brain cancer with little hope for a long life here... but... I have learned through you that all of this, all of these things will GLORIFY HIM... and I will be blessed. I hear your song, Ann.
You are not far from me (this is an aside...) I am at the bottom of the Grape Vine on the Los Angeles side... If I can ever be of help to you... let me know.
Janine4t@aol.com ♥

barb said...

Wow! Brokennes. Can I keep the Devil from taking my song? I'm sorry you had to experience such a thing.