Thursday, March 19, 2009

there are days
when things happen.
unexpected. out of the blue.
and our lives feel shattered.
i've had days like that.

for you maybe it was
a car accident. your fault.
your insurance. something you
do not have or cannot afford.

or someone you really, really
love walking away. saying goodbye.
forever. twisting the pain in your
soul. cutting chunks out of
your heart.

so many possibilities for what
feels like life altering calamity.
and ruin. oh, i understand.
fear and hurt that
stomp into every inner piece
of you. with their big muddy
shoes. slams you on your face.

God gave me
some scriptures today.
be holy for I am holy.
our Savior Jesus Christ came
so He might purify us
for Himself.

then, He reminded me,
over and over and over
to fear not.
be strong. He is with us.

somehow, His grace,
we just must get through it.
His power. His strength. His
arms wrapped tightly around us.
even if we feel numb.
we trust
Him. we read His word
and hold on to every promise. I stand
with you today.

we will sing for joy over your victory, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners. may the LORD fulfill all your petitions.
psalm 20:5

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ann,
I love your blog. I love you! I have just rediscovered you. Last night I sat up late and wrote a long letter to you. I will send it today. I also tried last night to post this comment. I am computer illiterate, I'm afraid, and often can't get it to work right. I hope it goes through this time. In every post of yours, as happened in every book of yours that I read, something jumped out at me, grabbed my heart, took my face in its hands and said, "Look! Look at me, and listen, and feel what I have to say to you. God is here, and He is speaking to you, through this sentence, that phrase, her turn of words and sweetness of spirit." Ann, I so appreciate your honesty, your love, your faithfulness and your transparency. You are STILL my mentor.
Keep writing! If you ever come to Flagler Beach, FL, please find me. I will buy you shrimp and grits or crabcakes or hush puppies. I will take you to the beach by my blue house there or I will sit with you on my front porch, with the shells lined unevenly on the front window ledge, and we can talk about Jesus and mothering and our children and writing and how to pour His love into this cracked, broken, bleeding world of ours.

bonnie reilly said...

Ann,
Thanks for writing and sharing all that God is doing. Can't wait for your next book. My last letter was returned. Hope you are all well. How is Jan? Praying for her health. Love, Bonnie

Judy said...

Ann,
Like so many others, I love you. You have been part of my life since we met 40 years ago in the SLO Nazarene Church. I have followed your life and prayed for you and cried with you and rejoiced with you. Your words still "ring" with the honesty and the sincere love for God, your boys, your family and people. You are such a special person and I ask God to remind you of that today. Zephaniah 3:17 says "The Lord your god is with you. He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you. He will quiet you with His love. He will rejoice over you with singing". I pray that you FEEL that today. I love you Ann. I thank God for the impact you have had in my life through these years. God bless you today.

Judy said...

Ann...this is Judy. From Napa. I received your letter and will keep in touch. Praying for Jan and her family too.

Unknown said...

Ann, it has been years (approximately 25 years) since we have spoken and based on our last conversation, I would love the opportunity to redeam myself. If you ever get to the South, I hope you will give me the chance to do so. Still enjoy your writings.